Camp Update 05.11.2020

Monday, May 11th, 2020


Dear Camp Families,

We have felt overwhelming support and compassion from our camp community and fellow camp professionals as we navigate the difficult decisions about our summer operations. The kind words, stories and photos you share lift our spirits. Please do not stop reaching out, you are our inspiration.   

After much thoughtful consideration and given the uncertainty of current conditions, we have come to the tough decision to cancel our first two week session: Session I (June 28 – July 11). This decision was not made lightly, but we know it is necessary to ensure our highest priority, the health and well-being of our camp community. Families enrolled in this session have the option to redirect tuition payments into a refund, donation or credit towards future enrollment. 

Just like our campers, we look forward to being at camp all year and know you have been waiting with your fingers crossed to learn the status of our sessions. The American Camping Association has engaged an independent team of public health experts, pediatricians, epidemiologists and camp health experts. We expect the results of these combined efforts to be made available within the next two weeks and ask you to hold tight with us until we have more information regarding Sessions II and III. If you need to make a decision before then, we certainly understand. We have included our updated refund policy for this summer below. 

1. You may have a refund of your full payment minus transaction fees. 
2. You may credit all or a portion of what you have paid so far for this summer towards summer 2021 or future summer session.
3. You may choose to donate the $500 deposit or more to help our family business manage year round operating expenses and have the remaining refunded or applied toward a future summer session.

Please e-mail [email protected] with your decision. 
Session One 4 & 6 Week Families: Please wait on our final decision for Sessions II and III before selecting the tuition redirect option that works best for you.

We love camp, live camp and know that kids need camp now more than ever. We know that many of our campers will be heart-broken with the news that Session I is cancelled, as we are. As soon as we are able to safely bring people together at Camp Birch Hill, we will. We are exploring ways to meet the evolving needs of our campers, families, staff and local community. We welcome the opportunity to talk with each of you about this decision. As you might imagine, we are expecting a lot of replies to this email, so please have patience with us as we work to respond to each message.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your continued support, understanding and trust in us.

The Birch Hill Team